On an annual basis, FEDIAF reviews member association data on market and population trends. The figures are proof of the importance of companion animals for Europeans
• An estimated 80 million European households own at least one pet animal
• At least 24% own one dog and at least 25% own one cat
• Europe has 132 pet food producing companies and 200 production plants
• Throughout Europe, an estimated 1.000.000 direct and indirect jobs are generated by pet ownership such as veterinarians or breeders or connected supply industries.
• Pet food products show annual sales volume of 8.8 million tons and turnover is 21 billion euros.
• Pet related products and services are valued at 8.5 billion Euros (accessories), 10 billion (services) totalling 18.5 billion.
• The pet food industry and related supply and services represent a combined annual turnover of over € 38.5 billion.
• The pet food industry is growing at a rate of 2.5%.
The latest articles
More than 20% of Nestlé’s sales last year were pet products
The conglomerate’s pet category is the largest contributor to organic growth, while global sales decreased by 1.5%.
Better Choice to develop weight loss supplement for pets
The Florida-based pet health and wellness firm recently acquired all issued and outstanding shares in Canadian Aimia Pet Healthco for an undisclosed amount.
European pet food manufacturers establish new group
SANYpet, Natural Line and Codico have created a new production and distribution group to capture the international market.
Weekly newsletter to stay up-to-date
Discover what’s happening in the pet industry. Get the must-read stories and insights in your inbox.